Friday, October 21, 2011

Where have I been?

Sorry it has been so long! Get on me and say 'write, boy, write!'
   Well the apartment we were supposed to move into did not work out. Two weeks before we move in, my wifes friends roommate decided she was not going to move. That had us back in the countryside! I was thrilled actually. I got to get wood from the forest, a couple tons. It was a great bonding time with my father in law, a very interesting man. I also chopped a lot of logs. It made my body stronger and my spirit sharper. I learned how to use a scythe and really enjoyed the rhythm of the blade to the grass. I love working with the land, makes me feel human. We found a great apartment on the ground floor with a workshop and private garden included! It could not be more ideal. The neighborhood is close to friends and it is in flux with new dwellings going in and seems to be waiting for a snap of creativity. We had a little dewallpapering party. we found nearly one hundred years of wall paper on the walls. I am finally done and have moved onto plastering the walls. I have never done this before and enjoy it, speed and patience.
   I am very thankful to be surrounded by people who really do care for me. I had people tell me that Germans are rude and cold. This is not true at all. They just do not have time or patience for bullshit conversations and relationships. It is quite refreshing. I am feeling isolated though. I need to go to language class and complete my integration courses. This would help me so much. I am very embarrassed I only speak English, and feel like I am the stereotypical idiot American because of it. Even the German I know is hard to use. It is like my lack of confidence is shutting down my brain. Steve without confidence, now that's something. Worried I am getting depressed so it is time to focus on having fun. Do not worry though, I am a very emotional creature. This too shall pass.
   I am so proud of my fellow Americans right now. The Occupy movement is wonderful. I have followed it from the beginning and have been enthralled with the solidarity surrounding it. I even went to my first German protest, Occupy Hannover! It was great to see a global movement from a global perspective. The whole world is not only watching, but participating. I came here looking for this Americans dream. I am the 99%.

No comments:

Post a Comment