Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hannover!

OK so I got a good feel for my new home. It is my wifeypoos' hometown and it is beautiful. At first I saw busy streets, a dirty red light district, and a seemingly unfriendly street that should become the center of my street life, according to the love of my life. Then I saw the tree covered paths full of happy families and quiet neighborhoods. I meet friends of wife who have known her before her first breaths. I quickly learned to love my new home, like in a day. Perhaps it was the highly decorated ladies I meet on a walk. They looked like drag queens from afar, yet up close their white paint obviously concealed real ladies. Perhaps it was when they asked to marry me that I finally felt at home. (I said yes!) The graffiti is awesome here. Seems to be a flurry of wheat pasting right now. Not much in the way of installations so, I am inspired to make great new guerrilla art with a new friend I have met. Already planning some fun things. Keep you posted! Well perhaps it was when there was a food fight on a bridge between to 'hoods that I decided this town was cooler than I first thought. I left Portland, which is the coolest (debatable) town in the States, so I need fun things to do dammit!
I have found some things here pretty interesting, like how cheap organic food is. Really, how inexpensive everything is. Really good beer is a euro a bottle, pot is cheaper, and baby stuff is more affordable. Rent is, after Hawai'i, laughably cheap. That's right, Europe has a better cost to standard of living ratio. All taxes are included. Food and books at 7%, other goods at 19%. Even with a 19% tax stuff, like good bikes, is still cheaper than the states. Suck it, free market nazis.
I also joined a garden group. There are these gardens dating from ww2. individuals rent them for like 40 euros a month. the size is bigger than the average american yard. It is like a neighborhood of little hobbit cabins and gardens. I am excited to get my hands dirty and malama me some aina. I am even more excited to learn the strange heirloom varieties here. Not to mention being able to get timber from Europe's largest urban forest for my firepit. bbq on sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment